The Art Teacher will be responsible for implementing and developing a strong art program at West Bay Christian Academy. This position works with Preschool-8 students, providing developmentally appropriate instruction on art, art history, and a variety of art techniques.
Reports to the Specials Lead teacher.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide developmentally appropriate instruction on art techniques for grades Preschool-8.
- Planning lessons on art and art history in accordance with state standards and student learning objectives.
- Developing students’ drawing, coloring, and painting techniques, as well as three-dimensional and mixed-media design.
- Providing instruction on the use of media such as graphite and charcoal pencils, as well as acrylic and watercolor paint.
- Able to supervise lessons in a supportive and respectful manner to encourage creativity and self-expression among students.
- Assigning and grading projects and examinations.
- Recording and reporting on students’ progress.
- Preparing the classroom by gathering and setting up equipment.
- Ensuring that the classroom is clean after each lesson.
- Monitoring inventory and sourcing art supplies, as needed.
- Attending faculty and department meetings, as well as faculty in-service days.
- Organize art displays that will showcase samples of student art work completed during the school year in preparation for WBCA’s Academic Festival.
- Committed Christian, active in a local church
- Bachelors in Education or BA with teaching qualification, or equivalent preferred
- Prior experience as an art teacher preferred
- Demonstrated excellence in a variety of art techniques.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Prior classroom management experience,
- Capacity to supervise group work.
- Outstanding planning and problem-solving skills.
- Enthusiastic, reliable, must enjoy working with children
- Supportive, flexible disposition
Success in this role will be evidenced when:
- Students are experiencing academic growth and it is evidenced through their ongoing learning of art techniques, developed creativity, and artistic expression.
- Art displays samples evidence the growth and development of our students in art techniques and knowledge through all grades (preschool-8).
- Responsibilities for this role are being met at an adequate level as demonstrated through the teacher development process.
Qualified applicants, please email a cover letter, resume and statement of spiritual journey to: HR@wbca.info